Starting or Running a PTA Listserv?
In order to foster communication, MCCPTA maintains six listservs. Two of them are currently open to all who wish to subscribe. These two lists are called MCCPTA_Bulletin and MCCPTA_Delegates. The other four lists, which have restricted membership, are MCCPTA_Board, MCCPTA_Treasurers, MCCPTA_Presidents and MCCPTA_Presidents_Discussion. A detailed description of, and subscription information for all six lists can be found in documents listed below. These listservs are a way to pass along important information to our local PTAs, and to facilitate communication between the PTA/PTSAs of public schools in our county. Some MCCPTA Committees also maintain specialized listservs of their own. A list of committees that have listservs can be found in one of the documents below, or you can contact the chair of a committee you are interested in to see if one is maintained by them.
Many people are confused by the name of the MCCPTA_Delegates listserv –
its name is historical, and thus has been retained, but it is meant for
discussion, and other items detailed in the MCCPTA website document: http://mccpta.com/listservs_dir/listservsSummaryTable.pdf
It is highly recommended that every PTA has someone on their BOD who is
subscribed to MCCPTA_Bulletin, where all meetings and official MCCPTA
documents are posted.
MCCPTA Listservs Documents:
A Beginners Guide to the MCCPTA Listservs
May 24, 2006
Last updated April 15, 2010
- MCCPTA maintains six listservs. Two of them are currently open to all who wish to subscribe. These two lists are:
A detailed description of these two lists can be found in documents on the MCCPTA website. You must make a request to be added to either or both of these lists. Addition is not automatic!
- MCCPTA_Delegates. It is important to note that as decided at the Feb. 27, 2007 Delegates Assembly, only people with voting privileges at a DA will be able to post messages to MCCPTA_Delegates.
- The other four lists are:
- MCCPTA_Board, which is for MCCPTA Board of Directors members only plus the Listservs Committee and Website Committee Chairs and the MCCPTA Office Manager
- MCCPTA_Treasurers, which is for Treasurers of locals only, plus the MCCPTA President and Treasurer, Listservs Committee and Website Committee Chairs and the MCCPTA Office Manager
- MCCPTA_Presidents, which is for Presidents of locals only, plus the MCCPTA President and Vice-Presidents, Listservs Committee and Website Committee Chairs and the MCCPTA Office Manager
- MCCPTA_Presidents_Discussion, which has the same membership restrictions as MCCPTA_Presidents.
- Other MCCPTA Officers, Area Vice Presidents and Cluster Coordinators may also request to be added to the MCCPTA_Treasurers, MCCPTA_Presidents and MCCPTA_Presidents_Discussion listservs.
- Local Presidents may request to be added to the MCCPTA_Treasurers listserv, but will only be added if the local Treasurer is also on the listserv since the point of the listserv is to reach local Treasurers directly.
- Local Presidents may also request that their President Elect or Vice Presidents be added to the MCCPTA_Presidents and MCCPTA_Presidents_Discussion listservs, as long as the President is already on the listserv.
- Only local PTA Presidents, Presidents-Elect or Vice Presidents are allowed to post on MCCPTA_Presidents_Discussion.
- The MCCPTA_Treasurers listserv is a moderated listserv, where local Treasurers may post, but all messages are moderated and require approval before being sent out.
- MCCPTA_Board is the only list that allows attachments. Any materials posted to the other four lists must be included in the text of the message.
- There is one primary moderator, also called the Listservs Subcommittee Chair, for all six listservs who handles all administrative tasks such as adding new subscribers, changing email addresses, changing delivery options, etc.
- For the lists that are ‘moderator post only’ or ‘moderated,’ in addition to the primary moderator, there are other people designated as moderators who have the ability to post messages. These people are: for MCCPTA_Bulletin – the MCCPTA President; for MCCPTA_Presidents – the MCCPTA President; for MCCPTA_Treasurers – the MCCPTA President and Treasurer.
- In addition, for all six listservs, the MCCPTA President may appoint other moderators as needed from among the MCCPTA Officers. Finally, since it is recommended that all listservs have multiple owners, the President reserves the right to appoint for all listservs an additional owner or owners from the MCCPTA Officers or the Listservs Subcommittee who has knowledge and expertise with Yahoo Groups.
- Instructions for joining all the listservs can be found in the subscription information document and on the MCCPTA website. It is extremely important that you read the instructions carefully and follow them exactly. If there is a problem, contact the moderator.
- As long as they have provided the requested contact information, including an email address (Blue Book information for local’s presidents and treasurers), new Board members are added automatically to the MCCPTA_Board and MCCPTA_Bulletin listservs as soon as they assume office, Presidents of locals are added automatically to the MCCPTA_Presidents listserv upon assuming office, and Treasurers of locals are added automatically to the MCCPTA_Treasurers listserv upon assuming office. However, please be aware that there may be a significant delay in doing this, since Blue Book information may not be available until the fall. Therefore, all categories of members are strongly encouraged to use the instructions found on the website for the fastest way to subscribe to the listservs. Subscription to MCCPTA_Presidents_Discussion is strictly optional.
- Other MCCPTA Officers, Area Vice Presidents and Cluster Coordinators need to also follow the instructions on the website to request to be added to MCCPTA_Presidents, MCCPTA_Presidents_Discussion
and/or MCCPTA_Treasurers – they are not added automatically. The same is true for local Presidents that wish to be put on the MCCPTA_Treasurers listserv, and that wish to have their President Elect or Vice Presidents added to the MCCPTA_Presidents or MCCPTA_Presidents_Discussion listservs.
- It is important to note that there is minimal message overlap between MCCPTA_Delegates and MCCPTA_Bulletin, but the MCCPTA_Presidents listserv, MCCPTA_Treasurers listserv and MCCPTA_Board listserv will have some overlap with the other listservs. There will be no overlap with the MCCPTA_Presidents and MCCPTA_Presidents_Discussion listservs.
Listservs/Spotlight Committee Chair and Listservs Moderator
Listservs Committee Reports / Workplan